Friday, August 6, 2010

How Does My Garden Grow?

This year's garden got a slow start due to lots of rain and cooler weather.  I've been picking squash, a few tomatoes, one cucumber, onions.  The strawberries have already quit producing and we enjoyed what we got, but I thought with two large raised beds, there would be alot more.  Our cherry tree was loaded last year and we picked cherries till we were sick of them, but this year, to my dismay, we were only able to pick a small amount as the tree just wasn't productive.  I am pleased with the tomatoes as they are loaded with green tomatoes and are slowing turning red.  With fourteen plants, we will have our fill of them.  We planted cauliflower and broccoli and something kept eating the leaves, they were so pitiful with lots of holes.  There was several servings of broccoli that I cooked, but gave up on the cauliflower.  I learned something about onions, you need to seperate them, instead I planted them in a bunch.  They  have grown, but would have gotten much bigger if I had seperated the plants.  We also planted watermelon and have one on the vine and more flowering.  The peppers are growing and I love watching them get bigger every day.  We have hot peppers and bell peppers.  We have used up most of our compost for the beds and need to start another compost pile.  I am still in awe how our peelings, coffee grounds, leaves, grass clippings all turn back to a rich wonderful soil.  Gardening opens up your eyes to the wisdom of God and his creation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey look at that. All looks well. We didn't get ours in this year between our trip to CO and after coming home we had nearly a month of solid rain. We are so bummed.