Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Try It, You'll Like It

With little room left in my freezer, I realized it was time to use up some of the bags of grated zucchini I had stored away from the abundance of my garden.
So, I decided to make some zucchini bread. Most of the recipes call for alot of oil which means higher calories and I wanted us to enjoy it without so much added fat.
I found a recipe and then instead of a cup of oil it called for I replaced it with a cup of applesauce instead. Then for a different twist, I added some chocolate chips, not too many, though, because I still wanted it to be low in fat.
The recipe made two delicious loaves of the moistest bread! With the addition of the chocolate chips, it's over the top. A success here at home.

3 eggs
1 cup of applesauce
2 cups of sugar
2 cups of grated zucchini
2 teaspoons of vanilla
3 cups of flour
3 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 to 3/4 cup of chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Mix in applesauce and sugar. Stir in zucchini and vanilla. Combine flour, cinnamon, soda, baking powder, salt and nuts, chocolate chips, stir into the egg mixture. Divide batter into prepared pans. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until done.

A tip my oldest daughter recommended was to prepare the loaf pans, using parchment paper instead of oiling and flouring them. You cut a piece of parchment paper large enough to fit into the loaf pans covering the bottom and sides then filling the pans with the mixture. When the loaves are done and cooled you then lift the bread out by the top of the paper. Clean up is then so easy!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh yes, applesauce works great in recipes in place of oil. Interestingly too, so does smashed, cooked beans work well for replacing oil. Cup for cup. So how do we get off grid and stop being in bondage to the electric company, phone company, and everything else that seems to hold us tight!!??