Wednesday, August 5, 2009

August Garden Update


I've been picking lots of zucchini, different types of squash I forgot I planted, cucumbers, tomatoes. The strawberries have dwindled down to just a few once in awhile. Last year I really enjoyed the few cucumbers I planted and so this year decided to plant extra. Well, I have so many I don't really know what to do with them. I have resorted to dehydrating alot of them and will be looking up recipes to get some ideas. I do enjoy them in a vinegar, salt mixture, and when the grandkids were here they enjoyed dipping the sliced ones in ranch dressing.


I found a recipe on the internet for oven roasted tomatoes. I sliced up the tomatoes I recently picked, put them in a bowl with 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, 1 to 2 teaspoons of basil, oregano, and an Italian seasoning that had marjoram in it. Mixed them up in the mixture and then put them in my stoneware cookie sheet on 200 degrees for about 12 hours. They turned out so tasty. I'm planning on using them on a pizza.


Today, I picked some more tomatoes and this time added my zucchini and onion and will be roasting them the same way. Also, found a good zucchini bread recipe and had Julie make some loaves. I have lots of grated zucchini waiting for more bread to be made in my freezer, I just need to convince Julie it's fun.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey that sounds great. I believe when our tomatoes start coming in full force I will come back here and get this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

j said...

MMMMMMMM!!! Yum, good green thumb Kathy!!
Jessica