Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Grandkids and Cookies





I always enjoyed Grandma's molasses cookies when I would visit her.  If I was at her house while she was making them I would get to roll them into balls and then into a small bowl of sugar before she placed them on a cookie sheet.  They were a fond memory of my childhood and so I made up a batch when I found out some of the grandkids were coming.  Forget putting any in the cookie jar, there wasn't a one left.

Recipe:
1 1/2 sticks of butter
1 large egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cream butter and sugar, add egg and molasses and beat until well mixed.  Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt and add to the mixture.  Stir until combined.  Roll into balls about 1 inch in diameter and then roll into sugar.  Place 1/2 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets.  Flatten balls with a fork or your fingertips.  Bake for 12 minutes.  Cool and enjoy.

2 comments:

j said...

Cute post. That is neat your g-ma used to make those and now you do, maybe one day Gracie will be making them for hers..... cute pics. THey had so much fun with you guys as always.


Jessica

Unknown said...

Come on by my blog and grab your blog award. I've really enjoyed reading your blog and wanted to thank you for all your posts.