Monday, September 7, 2009

Happy Birthday Jackie



Today, my mother-in-law is 80! Jackie was born in 1929 to deaf parents. She was the youngest of three children, growing up in Los Angeles, California. She grew up in the Great Depression and remembers being poor, but the family was fortunate that her dad was employed throughout that time.
Jackie married at 19 and had six children by the time she was 30. She was a wonderful mother and along with her husband, Carl, gave their children a happy and secure childhood.
I entered the picture when she was 40 and I was 15. I had met her handsome son, Chuck, and we began dating and going together. I remember her easy laughter and her welcoming ways. Her household was busy and lively with lots of children as she also babysat for extra money. Life seemed to center around her kitchen as parents would often stay at the end of the day for conversation and a cup of coffee as they picked up their children.
As her family grew up and married she became the grandmother of 20. All of her grandchildren have felt the love of this wonderful woman and it has blessed their lives with many happy memories. It has extended, now, to the great grandchildren which number sixteen.
Jackie has always amazed me with her boundless energy and her positive mindset. In her childbearing years she read a book that told her childbearing should not be painful, so she believed and it wasn't! She gave me that same book and it didn't quite work that way for me! Then, later, no perimenopause for her, she just sailed on through! Would you believe she lived with us for two years and we got along? Not many daughter-in-laws can say that. Most older women will talk about their aches and pains which is annoying to her. She can still outshop me and is still employed working seven days in a row, with seven days off schedule. Alot of those hours are on her feet. She says she would be bored if she didn't work. Who works at 80?
Jackie, you are amazing and I have been blessed to have you as my mother-in-law.

1 comment:

j said...

what a sweet post kathy. I just LOVE grandma and dont want to even imagine life without her.....
Jessica