Monday, March 8, 2010

Time With Dad



I was blessed with the opportunity to see my dad, recently.  He lives over 1,000 miles away, so it's been quite awhile.  I was dismayed at his mental condition, how  much his dementia has worsened.  It wasn't as apparent during our telephone conversations as seeing him in person.  He was confused and emotionless at seeing my daughter and I.  It was a hard time for me as I kept thinking about the "old dad," the one who would have greeted me with a big bear hug and a warm greeting.  For days after, the tears flowed, but I've had to comfort myself with thoughts of, he seems happy in his "world," he's not in pain and has his routines, is well fed, has a warm bed to sleep in.  Staying as positive as I can and sometimes, when I can handle it, remembering the good times when he was whole. 

3 comments:

j said...

I am glad you got the opprotunity to see him and that you are seeing the good. I know it was hard. You are a good daughter still.

Jessica

j said...

I am glad you got the opprotunity to see him and that you are seeing the good. I know it was hard. You are a good daughter still.

Jessica

Anonymous said...

My father was much the same before he passed away, though he did not have dementia. It is very sad for us. But he did not even know. GOd bless.